How to Lighten a Dark Wood Stain
- Apply a small amount of stripper to the wood. Allow it to soften the finish for about 10 minutes, or as directed by the manufacturer.
- Scrape off the gelled finish with sharp, flat sticks. Work from the center, and allow the finish to fall off onto drop cloth.
- Allow the wood to dry for at least one hour.
How do you lighten stained wood?
If the wood is too dark, soak a clean cloth in turpentine or mineral spirits and rub the wood firmly and evenly along the grain. This will lighten the stain but not remove it.
Can you lighten cabinets?
The only way to properly lighten the wood is to remove the lacquer, sand off the dark stain and replace it with a lighter color of stain. By sanding them, you get lighter cabinets, and the surface is smooth and ready to lacquer.
Can you lighten dark wood?
Wood stain that’s too dark can affect the entire appearance of a piece of furniture or room. The most effective way to lighten the color of your stain is bleaching the wood with chemicals. Steel wool and mineral spirits can lighten your wood stain by a small amount if you don’t need to adjust the color much.
How do you remove dark stains from wood cabinets?
How to Remove Dark Stains from Wood Furniture
- Melt the oxalic crystals in hot water.
- While the water is still hot, place the oxalic acid on the surface of the furniture.
- Let the liquid dry until it looks powdery and then rinse the area thoroughly with clear water.
- If you got down to bare wood, lightly sand the surface with fine sandpaper.
How do you lighten up a dark kitchen?
5 Tips to Brighten a Dark Kitchen
- Add bright accents to the kitchen. Bright accents provide a cheap and easy fix to a dark kitchen.
- Paint the kitchen walls a sunny color. If your kitchen has paneling, wallpaper or dark-painted walls, you need an update fast.
- Install recessed lighting.
- Consider new kitchen countertops.
- Replace or repaint old cabinetry.
Photo in the article by “Flickr”