Distressed Kitchen Cabinets: How To Distress Your Kitchen
- Remove all of the cabinet hardware.
- Sand the cabinets with a sanding block.
- When all of the sanding is done, clean clean clean.
- Bust out the antiquing glaze.
- Apply a top coat.
- Let the topcoat dry for about 24 hours before you add your hardware.
How do you paint kitchen cabinets to look old?
How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets to Look Antique
- Deciding The Base Color:
- Choosing The Antique Stain Color:
- Clean The Cabinet:
- Prep the doors.
- Clean – Dampen some cotton rags and wipe the cabinet faces to remove any surface dirt.
- Sand – Smooth down the cabinet surface until the wood underneath looks dull.
- Sanding The Edges:
- Paint The Base Color:
How do you make paint look distressed?
How to do it
- Step 1 Prep the Surface. Place your piece on top of a drop cloth and lightly sand the wood to create a rough surface.
- Step 2 Apply Base Paint. Using your darkest shade of paint, apply a first coat to the furniture.
- Step 3 Create a Paint Wash.
- Step 4 Apply Top Layer.
- Step 5 Distress Edges.
How do you whitewash kitchen cabinets?
Dip a clean paint brush in a whitewash pickling stain and apply it using smooth strokes from the bottom of the cabinet to the top and then back again. After you have applied the wash, wipe it with a clean, soft cotton cloth. The harder you wipe, the more the wood grain underneath will show in the finished product.
How do I make wood look distressed?
- Prepare Your Space. Start by laying down drop cloths and preparing the area.
- Sand and Clean the Piece. Sand the surface of the piece.
- Paint the Piece.
- Apply Wax and Top Layer of Paint (Optional)
- Distress the Piece with Sandpaper and Steel Wool.
- Apply a Stain (Optional)
- Protect the Finished Piece with Polyurethane.
How do you glaze painted cabinets?
- Clean cabinets very well and remove hardware.
- If you purchased the clear glaze in order to custom mix your own color do that first.
- Apply the glaze with a sponge brush.
- Paint the glaze on a few cabinet doors or drawers at a time.
- Go back with a damp (NOT wet) cloth and remove all of the excess glaze.
How do you make paint look rustic?
- Apply one coat of your underlying color.
- Let dry for about two hours.
- Lightly sand the dried paint.
- Apply one coat of the top color and let dry overnight.
- Wet your rag in a bucket of water and wring it out completely so that it is just damp.
- Rub the rag over areas you’d like to distress.
How do you make wood look old with Vaseline?
How to Distress Paint with Vaseline
- Supplies: Vaseline.
- STEP 1: Apply a thin layer of Vaseline to the edges of your project and anywhere you want a distressed look.
- STEP 2: Paint your project.
- STEP 3: Allow the paint to dry slightly (not wet to the touch), then use a damp rag to rub over the areas that have Vaseline.
- Like what you see?
How do you distress white painted wood?
These are the steps with a simple explanation as to how to distress wood painted furniture:
- lightly spray your flexible sandpaper with water.
- wrap your sandpaper around a sand block.
- dab dry to make sure your sandpaper is damp but not soaked.
- apply light pressure to sand away paint along edges.
How can I paint my kitchen cabinets without sanding?
How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets Without Sanding or Priming
- Remove Any Dirt and Grime. Using a scrubbing sponge, thoroughly wipe down each cabinet surface with a grease-cutting cleaner, making sure to remove all dirt and grime.
- Apply Liquid Deglosser.
- Label Doors + Remove Hardware.
- Clean Out the Inside.
- Paint the Back.
- Insert Thumbtacks.
- Paint the Molding.
- Paint the Front Side.
Can you whitewash over paint?
Whitewashing furniture creates a gentle distressed or antiqued look by simply applying whitewash or watered down white paint to your furniture. It is possible to whitewash painted furniture, but it takes time and the steps vary depending on the look you want to achieve.
How do you paint cabinets?
Suggested clip 48 seconds
How To Paint Cabinets – YouTube
Start of suggested clip
End of suggested clip
How do you make wood look old with vinegar?
Here’s how to age wood and make it look old and gray. Iron vinegar on fresh cedar lumber: Soak some steel wool in white vinegar for a few hours or a few days – the longer it steeps, the darker the aged effect will be. Fill the jar with the steel wool and vinegar, the measurements don’t have to be precise.
How do you make wood look old and gray?
To age new wood to a natural silvery gray, to grey-brown or black patina (depending on the wood), let a small piece of steel wool (or a few non-galvanized nails) sit overnight in ordinary white vinegar, then dilute the vinegar solution 1 to 1 with water.
How do you make vintage wood?
Suggested clip 51 seconds
How to Give Wood an Antique Look – YouTube
Start of suggested clip
End of suggested clip
Photo in the article by “National Park Service”