Dump a good handful of baking soda into the drain, let sit (don’t run any water) for 15 minutes, then pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup white vinegar down.
Watch the bubbles, hear the pops and fizz, and let it sit for another 15 minutes.
Then, boiling water and voila!
It will be right as rain … at least for about six weeks.
Why does my kitchen sink smell like sewer?
Problem with the Trap
If your kitchen sink smells more like sewer than rotten food, there might be a problem with its trap. A kitchen sink’s trap is the ‘P’ or ‘U’-shaped pipe directly beneath the sink basin. Usually, a sewer smell means that the water in the trap that blocks sewer gas has evaporated.
Why does my kitchen drain smell?
One of the most common reasons for a kitchen sink to have a rotten egg or moldy smell is from grease or fat getting stuck in your drains. When you pour grease down your drain, it can congeal to the sides. And then, as it begins to decompose the smell can make its way back into your home.
How do I get rid of a smelly sink drain?
- Remove the stopper from the sink and wash out any debris lodged in it.
- Pour ¼ cup baking soda into the sink drain.
- Heat a kettle of water to boiling while the baking soda and vinegar is bubbling in the drain.
- Place fresh citrus rinds in sink drains that contain garbage disposals.
Can you pour bleach down the sink?
Bleach is a powerful, toxic substance that should be used carefully and properly, and pouring it down a drain is not a proper use. Bleach can react with other substances in your pipes, potentially release fumes, and further plug up the system. Pouring bleach down them will do much more harm than good.
How do you get rid of sewer gas smell in kitchen sink?
DIY Shower Drain Sewer Smell Removal
- Pour 1/4 cup of baking soda into the drain.
- Follow with one cup of white vinegar.
- Let that sit for two hours with the bathroom door closed.
- Slowly pour a gallon of hot water down the drain.
- After fifteen minutes, run cold water for ten minutes to thoroughly rinse the vinegar down.
Why does my kitchen sink smell so bad?
It could be down to something as simple as a bacteria build up. This is most common in kitchens, where rotting food or cooking oil that’s been flushed down the sink can get trapped in the pipes. In bathrooms, hair might be washed down the plughole, which could result in a blockage and eventually cause a smell.
How do I get the rotten egg smell out of my kitchen sink?
Simple Sink Deodorizing
- Sprinkle 1 cup of baking soda down the drain.
- Follow that with 1 cup of vinegar. The mixture will foam like crazy.
- Finish off with a teapot full of boiling water to wash it all down the drain.
How do you deodorize a kitchen?
5 Smart Ways to Zap Kitchen Odors
- Combat cooking fumes. Try this to erase the scent of yesterday’s broiled fish: In a saucepan, mix 3 tablespoons of white vinegar and 1 cup of water, and boil for several minutes.
- Treat the trash.
- Freshen appliances.
- De-stink the sink.
- Fight stink before it starts.
How do you clean a sink drain pipe?
Suggested clip 42 seconds
How to Clean a Sink Drain – YouTube
Start of suggested clip
End of suggested clip
How do you clean a sink with baking soda and vinegar?
Do baking soda and vinegar solutions clear clogs?
- Start by pouring a pot of boiling water down the drain.
- Then pour a cup of baking soda and an equal solution of vinegar and water (1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar).
- Cover with the drain plug and wait 5–10 minutes.
- Flush the drain with boiling water.