Steam distillation is the most popular method to extract essential oils.
During this process the botanicals are placed in a still and pressurized steam is forced through the plant material.
The hot steam forces open pockets aromatic compounds.
The compounds escape from the plant material and evaporate into the steam.
How do you make an essential oil still?
How To Make Essential Oils
- Harvest the raw plant material.
- Dry the plant material (optional)
- Add water to the still.
- Add your plant material to the still.
- Heat the still.
- Filter the collected oil.
- Pour the oil into a container for storage.
- Clean the still.
Can I make essential oils at home?
Steam Distillation – This is the most common way to make essential oils at home and can be done either with a crockpot or a still. There are lots of options for stills—you can invest a couple of hundred dollars in a good still made out of non-reactive metals and glass, or you can build your own.
How do you extract cedar oil at home?
3 ways oil can be extracted from Cedar
- Commercial extraction. If you want to extract the oil commercially, you can use steam distillation or wood distillation by applying pressure.
- Steam distillation at home. You need a stainless steel pot for it.
- Using oil or alcohol base. Take a clean glass jar and fill up the jar with cedar leaves, bark, and berries.
Photo in the article by “Wikipedia”