You may think there are only two possibilities: open floor plans or closed-off separate rooms.
6 Tricks to Defining Space in an Open Floor Plan
- Arrange your furniture.
- Color code your zones.
- Use geometry.
- Add floor variants.
- Introduce distinct lighting.
- Create visual layers.
How do you place an area rug on an open floor plan?
How to Combine Area Rugs in an Open Floor Plan
- Double Up on the Same Rug.
- Choose a Complementary Color Pairing.
- Play up One Solid Rug With a Colorful Pattern.
- Mix Two Patterned Rugs in the Same Style.
- Mix Two Patterned Rugs in the Same Color.
- Use Consistent or Contrasting Textures.
- Throw in Lots of Colors and Patterns.
How do you design an open concept home?
7 Design-Savvy Ideas for Open Floor Plans
- Get Set with Some Symmetry. An easy way to tackle an expansive space is to create a balanced look with your larger furniture pieces.
- Make Big with Practical Spaces.
- Create Cozy Corners.
- Maximize for Multipurpose Use.
- Put Wood Designs to Work.
- Opt for a Modern Great Room.
- Shop more living room looks →
How do you make a room with high ceilings feel cozy?
- Paint your ceiling a dark color, like chocolate or mahogany.
- Avoid hanging pictures on the upper portions of the walls.
- Install a chair rail or crown molding on the walls 10 feet above the baseboards.
- Hang window coverings midway across tall windows.
Photo in the article by “Flickr”