Here are seven ideas for what to do with that awkward gap.
- Put some baskets up there and stash your stuff in them.
- Use the space to store cookbooks.
- Add a little art.
- Squeeze in some extra wine storage.
- Add an extra shelf above the cabinets.
- Fill the space in.
What can I put on top of my kitchen cabinets to keep them clean?
Keep Them Clean
Once you’ve got the tops of your cabinets clean, there’s a cheap kitchen staple you can use to keep them that way: wax paper! “Wax paper is a fantastic solution because it collects the grease, allowing you to simply remove the paper, throw it away, and replace,” says Napelbaum.
Should I take my kitchen cabinets to the ceiling?
Inexperienced designers, architects, interior designers, and home owners usually do not. This is just the tip of the ice berg for good kitchen design. 1 ) Never leave crown moldings closer than 9 inches from a ceiling. Once you get within a foot of the ceiling you should have the cabinetry and molding meet ceiling.
What is the space above kitchen cabinets called?
A kitchen soffit is usually a boxy structure built to hide wiring, pipes, or other mechanicals, or to fill the space between the top of your cabinets and the ceiling. Depending on the age of your home they may be very large and perhaps even extend out past the cabinets.
Do you have to decorate above kitchen cabinets?
As a general rule, if you have under 2′ of space above kitchen cabinetry, very tall armoires or built-ins, don’t decorate the space. All too often, doing so dates you to the 1990’s and the area does nothing but catch dust.
How can I make my kitchen look expensive?
10 Sneaky Ways to Make Your Kitchen Look Expensive
- Choose a luxurious color palette (and play with texture) Photo by Medallion Cabinetry.
- Reinvent tired cabinets with new hardware. Photo by DC Home Photos.
- Paint (or add glass doors to) your cabinets.
- Put your best stems forward.
- Update the light fixtures.
- Recast the backsplash.
- Upgrade your view.
- Paint the countertops.
How do you remove sticky gunk from kitchen cabinets?
- Mix a solution of a few drops of dish soap to about 2 cups of warm water.
- Soak a sponge in the soapy water and wipe the cupboards down to remove surface dirt and dust.
- Soak the sponge in clean water and rinse the cabinets thoroughly, including around the hinges, knobs and handles.
How do you get thick grease off cabinets?
Rinse with a clean, damp sponge, and dry with an absorbent cloth or paper towel. Remove thicker grease from cabinet doors by spreading a solution of baking soda and warm water (1 cup warm water and 3 tbsp. baking soda) over the grease with a sponge, and gently agitating it.
How do you stop grease buildup on kitchen cabinets?
This will loosen any built-up dust, grease and oil. Though it sounds counterintuitive, oil can help break up greasy, oily buildup. Make a paste of vegetable oil and baking soda that’s thick enough not to run or drip. Apply the paste to your cabinets with a clean, lint-free cloth.
Photo in the article by “Flickr”